there are 2 parts to the assignment a discussion form and an assignment
Assignment 1: Discussionâ€”The Future of Social Security
In the last few years, the fate of the Social Security administration has come into question. The system faces various challenges like the growing number of retirees and the shrinking number of workers paying into the system. In this module, you will look at possible solutions to such problems. You will also examine the political and economic consequences of implementing changes in public policy.
Your textbook proposes several solutions for maintaining the solvency of the Social Security administration.
- Select one solution from the textbook that you believe might be effective.
- Using the Social Security Administration Web site (www.ssa.gov) and the Argosy University online library, research the arguments made in support of this solution.
Social Security in the United States averages to about 40 percent of the citizensâ€™ wages. This is two-thirds of the international average, which is about 60 percent (Macionis, 2009). In addition, politicians in the United States want to cut benefits further. Keeping this in mind, respond to the following:
- Explain reasons for the disparity in Social Security between the United States and other industrialized countries.
- Discuss whether cutting benefits is a good policy decision for the United States.
- Give examples and reasons in support of your response.
Provide appropriate justification for your analysis.
Write your initial response in 200Ââ€“300 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, August 9, 2014, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, August 13, 2014, review and comment on at least two peersâ€™ responses. Cover the following items in your posts:
- Provide a statement of clarification.
- Provide a point of view with rationale.
- Challenge a point of discussion, or draw a relationship between one or more points of the discussion.
This discussion assignment will be graded using the discussion rubric.
Assignment 2: Single-Payer Healthcare
The 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) was implemented primarily to provide access to health insurance for those who would not otherwise be insured. The ACA is not designed as a single-payer healthcare system although some of its architects as well as its detractors see the ACA as steering the United States toward one.
Research the single-payer approach to healthcare delivery using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet.
In a 3â€“4-page paper, address the following:
- Define a single-payer system and identify a country where it is used.
- Using demonstrated research findings, describe the strengths and weaknesses of a single-payer healthcare system.
- Based on your current situation in terms of healthcare coverage (insured by an employer, covered under a parentâ€™s or spouseâ€™s policy, receiving government benefits, uninsured, etc.), explain how a single-payer plan would affect how you receive healthcare. Do you favor a single-payer approach? Why, or why not?
- If you were to design a single-payer system, explain how you would address the challenges.
Write a 3â€“4-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, August 13, 2014, deliver your assignment to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Defined a single-payer system and identified a country where it is used.||
|Used research findings to describe the strengths and weaknesses of a single-payer healthcare system.||
|Explained how a single-payer plan would affect how you receive healthcare and explained why or why not you are in favor of a single-payer approach.||
|Explained how to address the challenges of a single-payer system if you were to design one||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||