Case study 2
Description Marks out of Wtg (%) Due date
Case study 2 (2800 words) 50 50 31/10/14
You are required to study Case Study 6: ‘Michael Hill International: Controlled expansion
and sustainable growth’ (p.450) in your textbook and answer the five questions (see below) at
the end of the case study (p.460).
1. What elements of global strategic management are apparent in Michael Hill’s initial
expansion into Australia?
2. Critically analyse Michael Hill’s diversification into shoes.
3. Compare and contrast the entry models into Australia, Canada and the United States.
4. What factors do you believe Michael Hill included into the feasibility analysis to
5. The case highlights the fact that the North American market is fragmented. What are
the characterises of fragmented industries such as these? How should companies like
Michael Hill compete in a fragmented industry?
The case study primarily focuses on Chapters 6, 8, and 11 of the textbook. However, you
are strongly advised to study other materials such as selected readings in modules plus
any additional sources for the case study. You should prepare this assignment in ‘Essay’
format. In preparing this assignment, you should refer to Chapter 5: â€˜Essay writingâ€™ in
Summers and Smith 2010, Communication skills handbook, 3rd edn, John Wiley and
Sons. The use of subtitles is encouraged in the development of your essay however, these
should be used sparingly. You may use a brief version of the questions as subtitles for
your assignment. Keep subtitles short, simple and relevant to the content which they
represent. It is important for essays to have standard subtitles for ‘Introduction’ andPlease note that there is a 10% +/â€“ allowance on the word count for the assignment.